My Aged Care is the starting point to access Australian Government-funded aged care services.
Referrals to the My Aged Care portal can be done electronically from within GP clinical software. Patient details are auto-populated and don't need to be re-typed into another form.
The electronic referral is enabled by HealthLink. HealthLink is cost-free for Australian general practices. It integrates with:
- Best Practice (version Lava SP3 and above)
- Genie (version 8.8 and above)
- Medical Director (version 3.16 and above)
- Medtech Evolution (version 11.4.4 and above)
There are non-electronic options for referring to My Aged Care, such as calling the contact centre, sending a faxed referral, or filling out the webform on the My Aged Care website. However, the electronic referral has a number of advantages:
- Saves GP time
- A copy is automatically saved within the practice's clinical software
- Auto-populating of the data means there is reduced risk of inaccurate information being submitted
- Receipt of the referral will be automatically sent back to practice (and stored in the software)
How to register for the electronic referral option
- Many general practices are already registered with HealthLink and don't need to complete this step. If you're unsure of your practice's registration status, you can contact HeathLink at email@example.com.
- If you don't have an existing HealthLink account you can register for HealthLink free of charge. Note that you will need your practice's HPI-O and the AHPRA numbers of your GPs.
- If you already have HealthLink installed you will automatically have access to SmartForms (i.e. there is no configuration needed). If you have a problem, contact HealthLink’s Helpdesk at HelpdeskHL@healthlink.net or call 1800 125 036 (select option 1).